Hello and Welcome!
I’m a 28 year old wanna be housewife. I blame the boys in second grade who called me Jessica “Donna Reed” Scott. Since my middle name is Reed and I loved her show, I just rolled with it. Some people have accused me of being “too domestic.” I don’t really understand this, but I have tried to keep it under wraps until now. I think since I’m creeping ever closer to 30 I seem to care less if people know that I have the best cookie recipe, or that I know how to get a weird stain out of the living room carpet. This is me. I imagine they’ll appreciate it when they need some Suzy-homemaker advice someday.
I also fancy myself somewhat crafty. I love to create things whether it’s from scratch or revamping a great thrift store find. My New Year’s resolution for 2012 is to learn how to sew. My Grandma taught me a few things, but it’s time I break out the sewing machine and get my skills together.
I live in Oregon with my fiance and our dog-child. We’re both students, I attend University of Oregon and am an Environmental Science major. He is preparing to transfer to a technical school for a Civil Engineering major. He’s my best friend and one of the best people I know. Sometimes it can get pretty sappy, I try to keep it to a minimum.
Gypsy is our dog-child, she’s a Black Lab/Australian Shepard mix we rescued four years ago.She’s stubborn, neurotic and at times an emotional terrorist. She hogs the bed and steals my covers but also gives the best cuddles around. She’s my baking buddy and always close by when I’m in the kitchen. It’s very encouraging even if she is just trolling for snacks.
I also love lists. I think I have lists of lists I need to make. It’s a problem. And since I love them so much I want to share a few things you may need to know when reading my blog.
1. I’m sarcastic. Sometimes it comes across as bitchy, but it’s just my humor. I’ll try to make it clear.
2. I grew up in small-town Idaho, those values are ingrained. I can’t help it.
3. I’m a nerd. I try to hide it but sometimes it just comes out. Deal.
4. I use my iphone to take the majority of pictures that will be on here. Not all will be amazing, but I’ll do my best.
5. I watch a lot of bad tv, I’m not ashamed. It’s my guilty pleasure.
6. I love baseball. Specifically the San Francisco Giants. I know players, trades, who’s hitting and who’s not. I hate it when people tell me they’re a fan because they watched the 2010 World Series. I’m a fan because I watch 160 games a year. I yell at the tv, I play favorites and they change, I blow people off when they play San Diego, Arizona or LA. I’ve heard it’s intimidating, I don’t doubt it.
7. I am allergic to dairy, but only the cow dairy…you know, the good stuff. This means that some of my recipes are dairy free or vegan, if I substitute something I’ll make sure to make a note of it.
8. I’m a full time student with a job. I can’t promise a specific amount of posts per week, but I can promise that they’ll be at least half-way decent. I write when I can, and sometimes my school work may intermingle with my blog work. So prepare for the possibility of a random essay over climate change and riparian areas, or something equally school related. Don’t be scared.
So I think that’s about it. I really appreciate that you stopped by, thanks for reading. Let me know what you like and don’t by leaving me a comment. And if you have any questions for me, feel free to send me an email at: rainydayswithgypsy (at) gmail (dot) com.